To start with, I went to Montgomery Friday morning to pick up Austin, Nate's ROTC buddy from K-State. Austin and I planned this little surprise about three weeks earlier and had a heck of a time keeping it silent, well Austin had a harder time than I did. When Nate got home that evening from flight line he found Austin sitting in his desk chair. I wish I had my camera out to get the reaction on Nate's face, he was so surprised and speechless. It was great!
While he was here, we took Austin to check out post and took him to the aviation museum. We also went and saw The Kings Speech, which all three of us agreed, was amazing and totally worth the Oscar buzz and nominations. Austin was also able to see what Nate, and I, go through while here at flight school. Since I picked him up early Friday, Austin got to play "Army Wife" with me, and see what I go through every week day and on the weekends. Not to mention, seeing what Nate went through and how much studying and time Nate had to spend studying and flying.
He told Nate before he left that even though Nate and I both talked about how difficult/hard it is down here, that he never really got it until he came down here. It's true, no one really gets it until you live it with us. Austin also told Nate, that he has an amazing wife who could, and can handle anything without complaints. That put a big smile on my face.
Other surprises Nate received were some amazing gifts from my dad. Let's just say everyone one wanted to steal them away, and I don't blame them.
We also held a small get together for Nate Saturday evening. Nate grilled steaks, while I made mashed potatoes, salad, rolls and a homemade cake that everyone said put them in a chocolate comma.
After everyone was stuffed, the real entertainment began. The guys got out the fire-pit we got for Christmas and had a heyday with it. Our new neighbors saw the flames over the fence and came over to introduce themselves and join in on the celebration. I could not have wished for a more fun and, much needed, relaxing evening for Nate and his flight school buddies.
The rest of the weekend Nate was studying the day away because his first official Blackhawk check ride was moved from Friday to Monday. Yes, it stunk because Austin was in town and I wanted Nate to not have to worry about anything on his birthday weekend, but what can I say, it's the Army and you should never expect anything plan to stay the same long.
As for the check ride, due to rain yesterday, Nate and the rest of the class had their check ride moved to today.

No comments:
Post a Comment