Saturday, September 24, 2011

Season Complete

As you can tell from the title of this post my first official RoughRiders season is over and it is a bitter sweet feeling.

To start with, I hit the ground running at the start of the season. Opening day was about a month after I started and there was a whole lot for me to do. We had media day, this was the first time I helped Aaron (the radio voice of the 'Riders) with the media part of the team, and it was the first time I got to meet the coaches and some of the players. Right then I knew I was in for an entertaining year. After that, the players started practice and we had a few major events for the community where the whole team, including the mascots, joined in. I loved it.

Once Opening Day hit, I quickly learned the ins and outs of the Dr Pepper Ballpark, as well as all my duties for my job. I helped with promotions, giving tours, helped people navigate the ballpark, but most importantly, created all the graphics, the game day programs and took pictures throughout every game. Yes, it was exhausting at times, but it was worth every minute of it.

Something else that began to happen is I started to form relationships with my co-workers, the players and even some of the significant others of the players. The team itself, quickly found out I could hold my own against them and did not mind their "guy talk." This helped when needing to do work related things because they trusted me more. It also helped me form some friendships with a few of them.

As for the downfalls of the season, some people would say there were two main ones — no holidays, ridiculous hours. Yes, those are true, but I feel that it could have been worse. I enjoyed going to the games and celebrating some of the nations main holidays at the ballpark with fireworks, it was pretty cool. Plus, we got days off to compensate when the team was on the road. As for the hours...well that comes with working in sports, and once again, I love my job and the environment, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

One thing I really enjoyed, among numerous other things, was that working for a minor league team, sometimes the big leaguers from the Texas Rangers had to come down to us for rehab assignments. I got to shoot and meet some really amazing players.

Seventy-one, yes I said 71, games later the regular season was over. However, we made it to the Texas League playoffs, but lost in game four to the San Antonio Missions. Luckily we were at home so the team (and Aaron) did not have a long bus ride back. Now remember when I said the season ending was bitter sweet, well after the last out, that's when that feeling hit.

All of the players left right after the game, or the next morning. They all said their goodbyes, and the few I became really close, we had our own conversations and goodbye moments. Many of them wont be back next year, either because they will move up, or for some, move down. For those that do come back to Frisco, you never know how long they will stay with the team depending on trades and movements throughout the Rangers organization. Feels like graduating all over again, say goodbye to the seniors and wait for the freshmen to arrive.

I know I will form relationships with every team, but it is a little different with this "class" because it was my first. They were the ones I shared my first season with and learned the ropes with. I am Facebook friends with a few of them so that, at least, will keep some form of connection, but for now it's still sad.

To commemorate this fine event that is the end of my first season, I will post some of my favorite pictures from the year (there are so many to pick from, and to make bigger click on the picture group). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment