Sunday, January 6, 2013

Finishing Up 2012

Again, I have dropped the ball on the blog. However, I have made sure to update my planner and have made part of my new years resolution to communicate with better, and that includes the blog. So, before I can jump into 2013, I need to finish up what happened in the last few months of 2012.

Two of my bestest (yes, I know that's not a real word) friends, Cicely and Marissa, got married, at the start of the year. Both weddings were within two months of each other. I am so happy for both of them and so blessed that I was able to be apart of their special days.



I was also lucky enough to visit another best buddy of mine in her new home of Syracuse, NY where she works for the Syracuse University Athletic Department. It was great to get the behind the scene tour of their amazing facilities, get a tour of the town, eat some amazing food and I even got to meet Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little.




The best part though, getting to spend some much needed time with a great friend and seeing her so happy doing what she loves.


The most important thing that happened in 2012 is Nate and I made it through our first official deployment! It went a lot fast than both of us thought, but was just as difficult as you would think. We are now dealing with the new "adventures" of post deployment transitions, but just like the deployment itself, it will only make us stronger.


With Nate getting back in August, we were able to celebrate our third together on time, without having to travel somewhere else to meet up or spend it apart. It was great! So, in September we returned to Tucson where we got married and spent it relaxing and getting to watch some University of Arizona football.



Once back, Nate, our friends and I decided to check out the great State Fair of Texas. The amount of fried food was ridiculous but super yummy. There were a lot of crafts and games and the people watching was pretty good, though not as amazing as Dothan, AL peanut festival. About a week after our adventure, my side of the office at the RoughRiders decided to take a field trip to the fair as well.






Luckily for me, I got to check a few more fried food off my list. My favorites were the fried Oreos, pickles and my number one, fried pumpkin pie.




Their is a sad side to this years fair, Big Tex, the mascot of the Texas State Fair burned down a few days before close due to faulty wiring. He will be rebuilt, but it was a very sad day in Texas.


We also celebrated a few birthdays in October. Todd turned 4, which is crazy, and even crazier, I turned 27. Just like normal, Todd got a special evening out with Nate and myself where we went and got burgers, little dog got french fries, and then headed to PetSmart where he got to pic his present.



As for me, Nate surprised me with a night in downtown Dallas where we stayed at an amazing hotel and more amazingly, got to eat dinner at a 5 Diamond restaurant, the French Room. The decor was spectacular, the other dinners (one in particular) were fabulous and the food was just decitant. Their crab cakes were the best I have ever had and their dessert was to die for.


While Nate was gone, there were a few things in Dallas that I waited to do with him so when he got back, one of the first outings we had was to the Dallas Arboretum. It is an amazing space, and since we went in fall they made a gigantic pumpkin village. They also had a Chihuly installation throughout the park, he is my favorite glass artist, it was spectacular. I am excited to go back in the other seasons to see how all the plant life changes.





As many of you have seen on ESPN K-State football ROCKED IT this year and Nate and I got two see our alma mater play twice this season — TCU and Baylor.




The Wildcats were not even supposed to be in the top five in the Big XII and ended up being ranked the whole season. We were even #1 in the nation until we lost to Baylor, and made it to the BCS Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in AZ ranked #6 where the #5 Oregon Ducks proved again how freaking fast they really are. Even though the season didn't end the way we hoped with a Fiesta Bowl win, I am so proud of my Wildcats. EMAW!


On another football note, the U of A also had a great season and won their bowl game in true Cardiac Cats fashion. BEARDOWN!


I know I mentioned the dox a little earlier, but the puppies are both doing well.



Annie is still a great running partner and this past baseball season she got to spend an afternoon at Dr Pepper Ballpark. Annie loved running around on the field, made friends with some of the players and even got in a little bp. She is also super excited to have her boy home.


Oh yeah, I almost forgot about one thing that happened this year...THE RANGERS.


However, it's late, have work in the morning and the puppies are staring at me. Guess I will save that one for next time ;0)

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Alex!! It was so great to see you, too! Glad to finally see some photos. :) Send me the one of you and Floyd and I'll get it singed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most Excellent Alex - great photos as always and no glaring speling errors.
    It warms my heart to see pics of you and Nate together again

    ReplyDelete