Wednesday, February 24, 2010

They Did It

Guess what everyone, my newspaper class got their act together, not to mention made their deadlines, and we finally got out our first printed issue of the Whitefield Newspaper out. I am very proud of them. They even put the layout together themselves. Yes, I made the puzzle, the masthead and the pull quote style, but the rest was them. However, I have to tell you a story about the puzzle for the lead package. The writer, Amy, came up to me the first Thursday after the Spelling Bee and was like, "Mrs. Yocum I was wondering if we could make a puzzle with the words used in the contest. I got the words already and think it is a good visual and secondary coverage. That is what you called this type of stuff right?"

I almost fell over, this was a 7th grader who got it, then I realized from this issue that they all finally got it. I am very proud with how far they have come. We have 3 more printed issues as well as 10 other articles to put up on the blog.

So without further adue, here is the first issue of the Lion's Pride:




(For a better view of the paper click on each page)

3 comments:

  1. The 1st ever of anything is awesome. The 1st ever for a collective group of people is exponential. The idea of a crosswords puzzle and understand the design/layout application is a compliment to your teaching ability. I'm going to check-out a couple of the movies. Mom/Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Yocum!! Oh my gosh I can't believe it! Even though I was there- Ha ha ha.
    Congratulations, doll. I'm very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I'm so proud of your kids! And of you, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete