Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Little Bit Closer to 30

So October 7 came and went, which means I am another year older – my 26th birthday to be exact.

I don't feel like I am 26, to be honest, I am not sure what age I really feel like I am. Oh well, I guess everyone doesn't feel their age one way or another, plus, this wasn't a "big" birthday like 18, 21, or 30.

To celebrate, my mom flew into Dallas for a jam packed weekend of a little bit of everything.

As soon as I picked my mom up from the airport, we headed straight to down town Dallas and the American Airlines Center for the opening night hockey game (yes, on my actual bday day) of the Dallas Stars taking on the Chicago Blackhawks. We grabbed some drinks and hot wings at the W hotel right across the street before hand and took in all the maroon and burnt orange because it was also OU/Texas weekend.

We then hustled into our amazing seats at the AA Center, one section over from the Stars bench and about 18 rows up from the ice. I really enjoyed myself and the game, yes, I do like watching hockey and understand the rules. Speaking of rules, I told my mom I wasn't going to explain them to her because it would just confuse her more. Lucky for me the free magazine they leave around in each row explained a few things.

The Stars won 2 to 1, and are actually still on a home winning streak, which is exciting.

The next morning, I had to go to work for our annual pumpkin patch at the ballpark while my mom got to relax with the puppies. As for the pumpkin patch, it went really well and it was very entertaining to watch the little kids try to pick pumpkins bigger than their heads.

Oh, remember how I mentioned that it was OU/Texas weekend? Well, we turned the game on, on our RiderVision and had the sound on the stadium speakers so the dads in the crowd (as well as ourselves) could watch the game. A lot of the families were also dressed up in their teams colors, even saw one guy in a K-State shirt so we, of course, talked a little Wildcat football.

After that my mom and I took the dogs to a park in McKinney for a nice relaxing walk. Then we got ready and went out for my birthday dinner at Ricks in downtown McKinney. The food was amazing and so was the service.

I think it is my "go to" restaurant for celebrations like birthdays. Everyone needs one of those right?

I also received an amazing gift from my parents — an ink drawing of a violin with labeled parts — it's amazing, and I already know where it go in my future home. (Promise to put up a picture soon).

Next came Sunday, my mom's last day in Dallas and the end to my birthday weekend. It was a rainy day which worked out because we went back downtown to the Dallas Aquarium.

It was a very cool set up, that's for sure. You felt like you were in nature the entire time and there were hidden exhibits throughout. My favorite were, what I call, pocket monkeys. You could literally fit them in your breast pocket, they were awesome.

My mom made an animal friend as well, an Owl that, from the moment we entered his area, locked onto her and didn't let her out of her sight.

The also had the normal aquarium animals too, like sharks, fish, penguins, and even cooler manatees.

After the aquarium, we headed to one of the shopping centers down town for a quick walk around, and then over to Twisted Root for some yummy burgers.

Over all it was a great birthday weekend. Cheers to my new year of 26, and one year closer to 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment