Sunday, January 17, 2010

One Week Down

Well I just finished up my first full week with everything on my plate, let me tell you it will take me another week or two to get my body clock in sync. Other than me being tired, it has been a great week in which I learned a lot.

ANTHEM MEDIA GROUP
I go there on Mon., Wed. and Fri. and work in my own little corner of the graphic designer area. My first day was actually very exciting. I was shown around by Sara, my boss, and at the end was given my first project, design an entire magazine. It's called CJ, and after the issue I just finished designing, is going through an entire re-design, where I get to be a part of the entire re-design process. My next assignment, which I was given on Fri., was to design the program for the Kansas City Symphony. It brought me back to my musical days. Also, after lunch I found out the whole program needed to be print-proof ready by the end of the day. So as you can tell my first three days of work there were very, very busy and productive.

As for the work environment, it's great. I partook in chair races around the floor (the office is one big loop) and almost got run over by two of the guys while they were taking the company scooters out for a ride (yes, still in the building). The people are also very nice, well there was an exception, there was another intern there who got very upset with me that I got the projects that I did. Apparently, she was only given adds to do and some office busy work while she was there. Oh well, I guess she had to learn at some point she is not always going to be entitled. There was also an editorial intern who helped write some editorial content and do some other editing work for the magazines that Anthem has. She was very sweet and has a bright future as a journalist.

I'm excited to see what my next project is.

SPRINGBOARD CREATIVE
When I was hired to work on the Royal Purple I was sent to St. Louis with the rest of the staff for a college media workshop. I was put in the design class where my teacher was Kevin. I kept in contact with him, which wasn't hard because he taught me my next three summers at the same workshop, and he looked over my resume and helped organize my portfolio. On the same day he helped with my portfolio, about two months ago, his old intern got a job offer...this meant that Kevin was looking for a new one to help move his business in a new direction, communications design. He contacted me a few days later and asked if I would be his intern. I, of course, said yes. It's a great opportunity and I get to be very hands on.

His studio space is in the Vox theatre in Kansas City. It is a great space and the stage and the ambiance is still there. The actual office space is located in the remodeled projection room. I also have my own desk and amazing new Mac computer, I made fun of Kevin because I have a better computer than him. He just said that I would just have to get more projects then, and I'm ok with that.

I already have my project list and have been introduced to some good people. He is really willing to help me out and make sure I have a hand in every part of the creative process. Right now I am working on a brochure for that same workshop where we were introduced. Small world right?

I will keep you posted on my goings on here...there is a lot more to come.

WHITEFIELD ACADEMY
If you were wondering if I still had time to teach my yearbook and newspaper classes, I do. We had our first "official" week of classes this past week and both publications are full steam ahead.

Here's the newspapers blog: whitefieldnewspaper.blogspot.com/

They have come a long way and we are actually getting our first printed issue out this Feb. As for the yearbook, the design program is finally up and running, they are finishing the rest of their stories and taking photo's like crazy. As soon as they get some pages designed I will give you guys a sneak peak.

UPWARD
That's not all folks! I am also coaching 4th to 6th grade boy's basketball. I have six players of all different skill levels, but the purpose of this league is to help increase their skills. We practice every Thurs. night and have games on Sat.

As for our first game, we tied, 28-28. I know it's not a true "W" but I am so proud of my guys. Our best player was gone along with one other guy, one played while being sick, and another has bad asthma. So with four players we took this team head on and came out with a tie. They showed a lot of heart and I figured out that we are a fast playing team and can out run the best of them for the whole game.

I'm really excited to see what the season holds. Oh yeah, our team name, the Cavaliers.

SUNDAY
As for today, I was productive in my own life. I did laundry, Todd and I went for a walk (he is also adjusting to the change in schedule), cleaned the apartment and designed some things that some people have asked me to help them with.

It's been a long week but a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Holy moly girl! That's a crazy life, but it sounds pretty wonderful. You are one of the reasons I am excited to move back to KC in May. I hope we'll find some time to hang out and such. Also, Tamara and I have big plans for a "big kid convention" at the KC Fall 2010 JEA convention. Get ready, you are part of these plans whether you like it or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, Alex. :) I know you're loving it. I miss you! We need to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete