Before the shoot I was trying to figure out the best location(s) to take the pictures. I thought about doing the traditional "white background" pictures and thought to myself that those are not usually that dynamic. So now what?
I first had to think about how to get good reactions out of a soon to be one year old, while remember this little one is just finding her legs so give her some space to move around. Here is my advise for little kid shoots:
- Go outside. The noises, weather, and settings are more fun for them. It makes them look around and interact with you and the surroundings.
- Props are a good thing. Bring their favorite toy, bubbles, a ballon, or even a pet to include in the shot or to get their attention.
- Give them a place to stand. Use benches, swings, wagons, and hands to help them move around. It is also a good way to incorporate the feeling of mom/dad without really having to see/use them.
- Fit their personality. If they like water, go by water, if they like to play in the sandbox, go to the playground, if they are cuddly and like to roll around, put them on your bed in your best sheets. They will feel more "at home."
- If you want to go "white," go messy. If you are really wanting to have a white, black, or colored background, get a cupcake, sucker, confetti, or something that they can really get into. Once again this makes for some dynamic and good beginning to end pictures.

This was actually my test test shot, her mom was just helping her walk.

Cadi was trying to swing it herself and later she pulled her self up, holding onto the back. Then she played underneath the swing itself. Her mom used bubbles to help get her attention and they actually showed up in a few of the pics. with Cadi trying to grab them.

This was simple, just let her roam free. The nature around her kept her busy and engaged, however, she did end up eating a little bit of dirt.

This was at the older playground. Cadi figured out that she could bounce on it, the laughter pictures were great. Not to mention the wind picked up a little bit and cars were passing by so she had really good facial expressions when the wind hit her or when she was trying to figure out what the car noises were.

This was the final location and it turned out great. The truck in the photo is her mom's and the lake is in front of Cadi. There were a lot of good pics because she loves the water and would have stood there forever if her mom had not picked her up. Plus the fence let her control her own actions.
Yes, I know these pictures were not the conventional 1st Birthday Portrait pictures but I think that's what makes them better. They are more raw and natural. They pick up on Cadi's personality and I think that is the most important thing when shooting, or getting pictures taken for any portrait. In the end I ended up with 45 + great pictures.
Hope you enjoyed them because I know I enjoyed taking them.
No comments:
Post a Comment