Monday, October 18, 2010

Finally Fall

So after this weekend it finally feels like fall here in Alabama. I think part of that is due to the fact Nate and I started doing fall activities. More specifically going to a farm, picking pumpkins and carving them.

We went to Aplin Farms, a quant little place about 20 min away from where we live. It is family owned and run since 1952 and they had a little bit of everything for their visitors — animals, duck races, sunflower garden, a train, hay rides, two corn mazes, photo station, slides and friendly people.



Nate and I started our adventure drooling over the farms produce. They had a little bit of everything including corn, a dozen for $4, and pepper, both hot and bell. Not to mention pumpkins for all shapes and sizes. I actually found one that was smaller than the palm of my hand.

Next, we decided to say hi to the animals and then go get ourselves lost in the corn maze. They actually had two different mazes, one for kids and one for adults. I do have to say though compared to the size of Kansas corn stalks, Alabama is kind of a joke. Non the less we hit a dead end and a turn around once, still better than I thought we would do.



Finally, we took a hay ride to the pumpkin patch, and yes it was a real pick your own pumpkin off the vine kind of pumpkin patch. It was awesome. It was also tricky trying to find the "perfect" pumpkin. However, I feel like finding one is like buying a car, house, dog, cat, etc. they find you.


Nate and I both found ours and both had to be pulled off of their vines.



They also had the sunflower fields right next to pumpkin patches so everyone could go and pick a few for their tables at home.


Now I have to start making some pumpkin pies and get ready for some trick-or-treaters that will be coming a few weeks from now. Oh, I almost forgot...you will have to wait to see what designs our pumpkins have until closer to the bewitching hour.

Happy Fall Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures, Alex. The sunflower looks gigantic. Nate, I remember your pumpkin carving skills; looking forward to this year's. Trick or Treat! - Mom/Linda

    ReplyDelete